“Ozone Layer Protection: The Mission Goes On”
The National Ozone Unit of Armenia invites professional and non-professional photographers to participate in this photo contest.
The National Ozone Unit of Armenia is pleased to announce the launch of the “Ozone Layer Protection: The Mission Goes On”photo competition for 2014! The aim of the contest is to reflect on the important role of the ozone layer and to gather inspiration from the beauty of our environment. With that in mind, the theme for this year is:
“Ozone Layer Protection: The Mission Goes On”.
All photo submissions should attempt to tackle the meaning and impact of the ozone layer and its depletion.
For details please click here.
Round Table on the Protection of the Ozone Layer
Yerevan State University
25 March 2014
CUSTOMS TRAINING ON PREVENTING SMUGGLING IN OZONE DEPLETING SUBSTANCES
7 MARCH 2014
The Republic of Armenia ratified the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer and the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer in October, 1999. The Country Programme for Phasing Out Ozone Depleting Substances to meet the country obligations under the Montreal Protocol was finalized in 2001, with assistance of UNDP and UNEP consultancy. GEF approved the Country Programme, but financing was made available only after the ratification of the Montreal Protocol London Amendment.
The Fourteenth Meeting of the Parties decided in Dec. XIV/2 to accept the application of Armenia to be listed as a developing country operating under Article 5 of the Montreal Protocol, taking into account its difficult economic situation, on the understanding that the process for ratification of the London Amendment in Armenia must be completed before any assistance from the Multilateral Fund can be rendered to the Party.
Armenia ratified the London and Copenhagen Amendments in November, 2003 and in 2004 GEF approved the Country Programme of Armenia for the second time.
Armenia further committed to comply with the Montreal Protocol implementation through the ratification of the Montreal and Beijing Amendments in December 2008. The National Ozone Unit (NOU) established in Janiary 2005 under the Ministry of Nature Protection of the Republic of Armenia, is the focal point for the implementation of the Montreal Protocol and coordination of all phase-out related activities in the country. The NOU actively cooperate with ministries and inter-ministerial bodies as well as with advisory groups such as NGOs, RAC and others.
The NOU is responsible for:
- Co-coordinating and managing the activities of the IS Project;
- Daily technical assistance to public and private counterparts, including SMEs end-users and customs offices;
- Continue monitoring and control of imports and use of ODS in cooperation with Customs Authorities.
- Update on a regular basis the Inventory and the data base, including improvement of the national electronic data base to cover HCFCs data;
- Assistance and co-ordination for the remaining phase-out project applications;
- Organization, implementation and monitoring of training sessions for local authorities
- Development of a public awareness programme;
- Review the current regulations and propose the necessary amendments, preparation of legislation and initiate the legislative measures to control the HCFCs
- Liaison between Government and responsible international organizations (Multilateral Fund Secretariat, Implementing agencies etc.);
- Information exchange with other Parties;
- Reporting of consumption data to the Ozone Secretariat of UNEP, on an annual basis, as per reporting requirements of Article 7;
- Reporting of progress on Country Programme implementation to the Multilateral Fund Secretariat and UNIDO, on an annual basis, as per decision 193 of the 13th ExCom.
- 08.09.2012 Let\'s Save the Earth, Terezyan Mariam (aged 14)
- 08.09.2012 Let\'s Save Nature from Disaster, Poghosyan Susanna (aged 9)
- 08.09.2012 The Earth Protects Itself from the Sun, Sargsyan Rafayel (aged 14)
- 08.09.2012 A Safe Rest, Galstyan Vladimir (aged 12)
- 08.09.2012 Girls of Future, Khachatryan Emma (aged 10)
- 08.09.2012 The Protection of the Earth, Apresyan Tigran (aged 9)